Mount Saint Joseph Academy, located in Flourtown, Pennsylvania, has been preparing generations of young women for the challenges of college and life since 1858. Founded by the Sisters of Saint Joseph, the academy was located in Philadelphia on the grounds of what is now Chestnut Hill College. Originally a boarding school, the academy accepted day students in 1911. In 1928, it was the first Catholic school to be approved by the Middle States Association accrediting agency. In response to the growth of the school and evolving educational needs, the Mount moved in 1961 to its present site situated on 78 acres, just outside the community of Chestnut Hill, an urban village with a cultural life of its own and ready access to downtown Philadelphia. The new home of the academy expanded three times, adding additional classrooms and computer labs for student use.
However, since the construction of the buildings in 1961, student enrollment has more than doubled, the number of full-time faculty has tripled, and the number of course offerings has quadrupled. In order to continue the academy's tradition of excellence, the administration and the Board of Directors embarked on two capital campaigns. As a result of the overwhelming generosity and support of the Mount community, the campaigns have been a tremendous success, resulting in the expansion of the Academy during the 1997-98 school term and again in 2003-2004.
Our school building, which won an architectural award when it was constructed during the 1960s, offers spacious classrooms, a modern cafeteria, 600 seat auditorium, gymnasium, chapel, and choir room.
In 1997 a new wing was completed to further serve the educational needs of our students. It features a library/media center with state of the art computer, telecommunications and video capabilities; six new classrooms which offer greater flexibility for course offerings; a fully equipped computer/writing center, a modern guidance suite where students have private space for individual counseling and for exploring college and career choices; and faculty areas which allow space for interdisciplinary projects and class preparations.
In 2003 the art and theater rooms were renovated with additional space to become an enlarged, airy painting and drawing room; a computer classroom equipped with 25 computer graphics systems; separate rooms for ceramics and a kiln; and an enlarged classroom for theater arts. At the same time, the gym locker area was totally renovated to include a new locker room, a health class area, and a state-of-the-art fitness center.On the campus grounds, you will find an enclosed courtyard and well kept playing fields for our athletic teams, as well as ample student and visitor parking. In the Fall 2004 a track field surrounding a soccer field will be completed, along with two new softball fields. In the Fall of 2013 the renovations of the Mount's Science, technology and math wing were completed.
The Sisters of Saint Joseph originally opened the doors of the academy as a result of their belief that "on the education of women largely depends the future of society." From its modest beginning with twenty students in 1858, to the present day with its student body of 560, the Mount continues to focus on the importance of women's education. A private, selective day school for girls in grades nine through twelve, the Mount offers a college preparatory education in a Catholic tradition and context.