Mount Saint Joseph Academy, located in Flourtown, Pennsylvania, has been preparing generations of young women for the challenges of college and life since 1858. Founded by the Sisters of Saint Joseph, the academy was located in Philadelphia on the grounds of what is now Chestnut Hill College. Originally a boarding school, the academy accepted day students in 1911. In 1928, it was the first Catholic school to be approved by the Middle States Association accrediting agency. In response to the growth of the school and evolving educational needs, the Mount moved in 1961 to its present site situated on 78 acres, just outside the community of Chestnut Hill, an urban village with a cultural life of its own and ready access to downtown Philadelphia. The new home of the academy expanded three times, adding additional classrooms and computer labs for student use.
However, since the construction of the buildings in 1961, student enrollment has more than doubled, the number of full-time faculty has tripled, and the number of course offerings has quadrupled. In order to continue the academy's tradition of excellence, the administration and the Board of Directors embarked on two capital campaigns. As a result of the overwhelming generosity and support of the Mount community, the campaigns have been a tremendous success, resulting in the expansion of the Academy during the 1997-98 school term and again in 2003-2004.