Community Service Corps (CSC)
Mount Saint Joseph Academy's Community Service Corps offers the opportunity for all students to broaden their awareness of others through a variety of service experiences.The response to give of themselves in service is the genesis for transformative moments that last a lifetime.
Mount Saint Joseph Academy Students:
- Serve at Saint Frances Inn / Soup Kitchen
- Build relationships with the children at La Salle Academy on North 2nd Street by assisting the aftercare program and tutoring
- Visit the sick at Ronald McDonald House
- Care for animals and the environment
- Raise awareness and donations for Project Sew
- Build relationships with the children they would not otherwise meet in their day-to-day encounters and tutor at the Face to Face Program at St. Vincent's Parish
- Offer the gift of their presence to the residents at Saint Joseph Villa and Bethlehem Village
- Participate in Martin Luther King Day of Service, helping out several communities in Camden, NJ, as well as the Kensington community in Philadelphia
- Offer companionship to children with special needs at annual WinterFest
- Have an opportunity to participate in service opportunities during Spring Break in Mississippi (see menu at left), and in a summer service immersion project.
As they use their gifts and talents in the spirit of service, they deepen within themselves a spirituality that speaks of service not simply as hours to accrue, but rather that service is a way of life. It is the opportunity to continue to grow as compassionate young women who carry a vision and view of the world larger than themselves. As one staff member at Saint Francis Inn said,"Mount women are ready for any good work with a compassionate spirit!""The desire to respond actively to the needs of "the dear neighbor" empowers each student to assume her responsibilities as a citizen of a global community."
-MSJA Belief Statement (Sisters of Saint Joseph documents)